Thursday, October 16, 2008

"All you have to do is walk out the door"

Thanks to my friend Jen for sharing an article from The New York Times I apparently missed (shame) which profiles Manhattanites who are living small. I love the premise of this article because I don't feel so alone; knowing there are families sleeping in their closets gives me a little joy.

One mother, who lives with her family in what is described as an over-sized one bedroom, is quoted as saying that they can still have a little bit of a life in their cramped quarters: "All you have to do is walk out the door.” It's so true. I know on days when the Pod is a total tip, I haven't showered, there are stacks of unopened mail...whatever...I instantly feel better if I can get out, circle the block and breathe in that oh-so-fresh New York City air.

Storey's article makes another important sociological point about just how hospitable Manhattan has become for parents like us: “Big cities have become a series of neighborhoods that can and often do approximate small towns,” said Kathleen Gerson, a professor of sociology at New York University.

Read it: Move Up? Move Out? Families Squeeze In

No comments: